Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Campfire Smoke


"Campfire Smoke"

“You may also offer sacrifices voluntarily or because you made a promise, or because they are part of your regular religious ceremonies. The smell of the smoke from these sacrifices is pleasing to me.” Numbers 15:3b

We moved to southwest Washington almost four years ago. The hills are lush with old growth trees. Known for its logging industry, many households in the Northwest use wood burning stoves for their heat.



Our first year when the initial brisk days of Autumn hit, I smelled the distinct aroma of burning wood. My mind was instantly transported to camping trips with my family when I was young. Shortly before nightfall we would start a campfire. It would burn late into the evening while we played cards, listened to music or tried to read by the light of our Coleman lantern.

The campfire smell evokes wonderful memories and images. It smells like forest floors and yellow leaves, like slow-running streams and trout for breakfast. It always brings a smile as I recall hiking with my brother and sisters, playing bridge with the family around the picnic table and rushing to put up the tent in the rain.

So, when I smelled campfires just outside my front door I felt like I was 35 years younger at a time when life was full of joy, family and good friends. It took me a couple more days to realize that many of my neighbors used wood burning stoves. Though I do not use one, I am glad they do. I never grow tired of the aroma and the memories it calls to mind.

God tells the Israelites that the smoke from their sacrifices is pleasing to Him. I’m not sure it is for the same reasons that I like the smell of a campfire, but perhaps God wants us to realize that we can actually evoke positive emotions from Him. To God, the aroma is a reminder that Israel is once more remembering Him by bringing the sacrifices He commanded.

Every time someone participated in one of the sacrifices, they were reminded of their relationship with God. Whether they needed forgiveness from sin or wanted to thank Him for a great harvest, their offerings were a connection between the worshiper and God. We know that God wasn’t interested in the sacrifices themselves, but rather in what they did for the heart of the person performing them.

Anyone could give a bull or goat simply as a matter of ritual, God knew that. He also knew that even for the most devoted worshiper, the sacrifice itself accomplished little if anything of worth. What pleased Him was the heart of the worshiper and the future sacrifice of Christ which the entire Old Testament system represented.
Jesus, in His love for us “gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.” (Ephesians 5:2). Each time a bull or lamb or goat was sacrificed, I can imagine God looking forward to the great sacrifice of His Son. He would be “pleased” as He thought about men and women finally being reunited with Him because of that sacrifice.
The daily ritual of slaying animals never made anyone clean nor brought anyone closer to God. But, when Jesus gave Himself, once for all, on the cross, all mankind was instantly reconciled to God. All that remains is for individuals to accept that reunion by faith in what Jesus did.
God was pleased with the old sacrifices because they represented what was going to finally happen when Jesus sacrificed Himself. Mankind and God would finally be brought back together. Every man and woman would receive a full pardon for all sin. Every barrier that stood between heaven and earth was stripped of all its power in that moment. God and man, no longer separated, no longer on opposite sides of the fence; but reunited by the singular sacrifice of Christ.

Now, we no longer sacrifice animals every day to remind ourselves of our relationship with God. Now we remember the one sacrifice of Christ and in remembering, act, speak, and think as those who have been fully cleansed. We live entirely devoid of the old guilt, we live fully persuaded of God’s great love and God is pleased about it all!

To know God is pleased because I am now restored to Him based on Jesus’ sacrifice fills me with hope and joy. It encourages me to live fully and enthusiastically for Him. It takes away all my fears about how God views my life. It motivates me to carry the joy of His acceptance into every corner of His world. It makes me love Him more deeply, to know our reunion causes Him so much pleasure.

Every time I the firewood aroma wafts near me; every time it transports me to happy times with family camping in the woods, I will remember the fragrance that causes God to be pleased and I will smile twice. Once for my personal memories, and once for the eternal joy God has over you and me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.