Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

What I Cannot Forget


What I Cannot Forget

The things I forget only embarrass me,
what I cannot forget is what haunts me.
All of the worst of it is thrown into the deepest part
of the sea,
Marianas Trench, that colossal canyon,
flooded deeper than Mt. Everest.

All of the cracked bones, reactions to infractions
broken half the time out of willingness, have been scattered,
I am told,
as far as the east is from the west. I attended the East-West
Shrine Game once, when I was 10, at the Rose Bowl in
Pasadena. Until I got there, I thought I was going to
something important; Michigan and USC.
Nonetheless, despite my mistaken perception,
the day was perfect for helmets and pads on
the gridiron. I forgot
I was talking about how far the infractions
were hurled. They do come round again,
back to their starting place, to pound me into
the funk I find myself in nearly half the mornings I wake.

It is not false, they are further than I can fathom,
but my mind rains circles, and so, in every tighter orbits,
the weights resound their presence no matter how much
I believe they are beyond my apprehension.

I know You won’t reject me when the massive doors open,
between my last breath and my first real focus. I know
You’ve cast my worst stubs and stabs behind Your back
and never make them count against me. But I remain
As sad as if You meant them to greet me before I
can wrestle them or believe You cast them away.
My mind is my hell, will You make me a heaven here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.