Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Friended by God

Our Lord, you are the friend of your worshipers, and you make an agreement with all of us. Psalm 24:14

I told my family today I have a goal clearly in sight: 1000 friends on Facebook. I currently have 960. And, as nice as it is to have so many acquaintances sitting on my desktop while I do paperwork, I also think social networking has caused us to lose something in terms of real friendships.


If we see our friend’s icon on the “signed in” portion, we feel free to instantly enter into conversation with them. Truth is, most of them are open to that. Most Facebook residents know how to appear “offline”. Sometimes we might even be carrying on five such chats at one time.

Because I have lived many places, and because I have befriended people through email who I have never met face-to-face, I enjoy the sense of proximity Facebook provides. At the same time it also makes me long for deeper relationship. Most of my “friends” are more than a day’s drive away. I can’t simply call them up and go get coffee.

I enjoy intimate chat. There is something about two or three friends opening their hearts in good conversation that fulfills the soul’s desire. Open debate, honest discussion without insisting anyone is right or wrong; that is the way to spend an afternoon.

This kind of friendship is the type that cares deeply about another person’s pain, but doesn’t feel obligated to fix it. You know the type. No matter what you share, they are obliged to give you the written in stone answer for whatever you have brought up. Nothing kills conversation quicker than someone who has the sure-fire response. Nothing is sweeter than hearts sharing without fear of being reprimanded, instructed or taught the five ways to fix your ailment.

I believe we really find just a handful of these sorts of friends throughout life. It is paramount to keep our communication with them open, seeing as it takes years to develop another such comrade again.

God declares Himself to be the friend of all who worship Him. When any person lets their heart soar into the heavenly stratosphere of awe before God a friendship is either begun or renewed. Whether moved by the beauty of nature or contemplation of God’s gift of grace to us through the cross of Christ, when we meditate on the wonder of God Himself, we connect in friendship beyond this world.

In worship we discover God making “agreements” or a “covenant” with us. God befriends us, not so he can make His goal of Facebook friends. God is perfect love; the love that gives, supports, heals and forgives. Worship is the attitude in which we discover the Friendship that gives. God’s “agreements” are His promises to be all, absolutely all, we ever need.

It is not so much that God says, “I’m not going to friend you until you worship Me!” Although we might find some truth in that. I think it is more the fact that we don’t experience His friendship much outside of actual worship. When I begin to meditate upon God’s attributes; his holiness, love, truth and goodness, it is in that state of heart I am most ready to experience His “friendship”.

I suppose we want it easy. We want to click on “God” on our screen, and watch to see how long it is before we receive a notification: “God has accepted your friendship.” God already “friended” us. If the cross means anything, it means God walked past everything that kept Him and us apart. He made it clear when Jesus suffered for us, that He wants our friendship. Why not allow the God of all to befriend you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.