Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

When Words Meet Truth

When Words Meet Truth
(“There is no night dark enough, no shadow deep enough, to hide those who do evil.” Job 34:22 [The Message])
Oh Lord, I am just a poor man who
carries his life in a kerchief with holes
in the fabric.
Oh Lord, I have wondered as far as I can see,
why the efforts of goodness sometimes are lost,
buried, faded and dusty as moths.
Oh Lord, I have often wandered as far as I can walk,
slowly looking back to the sun above trees,
seeing jigsaw pieces between the branches
and asking the same questions again.
Oh Lord, I am just a poor man here
carrying my doubts, stubble and bruises
in the fabric dusty as moths.
Oh Lord, I puzzle at the words concrete,
and place the pieces along the corners
where word and reality meet.
Oh Lord, I am just a sinner who
likes to think He loves You more
than the carelessness that comes,
morning to midnight,
knocking at my door.
Oh Lord, I often saunter, glancing over my back,
and wish all the evil lit up the night like fire
and clouded the day like smoke. I am neither
more evil
nor
more saintly
than the paths I remember. But I often desire
to tender
My poor resignation to ask questions that
would not get me fired.
Oh Lord, I would rather be a poor man,
a pauper, who does not need to alter
his speech and hike; but only walks
as close as joy, up as truth, without
mincing down the honesty of questions
when words meet truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.