Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!

Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!

“Jesus, the One who says these things are true, says, ‘Yes, I am coming soon.’ Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!” Revelation 22:20

There is a bumper sticker that reads, “Jesus is coming, look busy” And, though it is tongue-in-cheek, it may reflect some peoples’ attitudes. The “threat” of Jesus’ return is used to motivate us to do what we should be doing all along.

When I was first married I managed a clothing store for a few years. I usually had a handful of errands to run in the afternoon. I would wait until one of my employees arrived for work, and then would leave the store for my errands. Depending on what I needed to do I could be gone for 20 minutes, 2 hours or anything in between.

I tried to instill a sense of initiative in my employees. I would leave them a list of duties to be fulfilled while I was out. But, I also wanted them to act on their own, to see things that needed to be done and not wait to be told. If racks needed dusting, they didn’t need to see it on a list; I wanted them to take initiative to care for the store.

If my employees knew exactly when I was returning, it would be easy for them to “look busy” at the moment I walked back in the door. But, because my time away varied a great deal, I sometimes caught them unaware when I returned. I expected to find them working, whether the list was actually finished or not. I was disappointed they were reading or talking on the phone to a friend instead.

On the other hand, if I found them working, even if the list had been completed, I was very pleased. Their initiative was one of the most important factors in deciding pay raises or promotions.

Jesus does not simply want us “looking busy”. We should be doing the work of the kingdom now, out of hearts that look forward to His return. He told us that no one knows the “hour or the day” of His return. That means we are not to occupy ourselves in guesswork about the timing. Instead, we should be living each day as if He would return that very day.

Jesus’ return to this earth is the most exciting even yet to be experienced by human-kind. He came the first time, living in a flesh and blood body just like ours, and allowed Himself to be cruelly crucified as a pardon for our sins.

He rose again bodily and showed Himself to over 500 witnesses. He then departed this earth after 40 days, telling His disciples to spread the Word about the New Life offered to all who trust Him with their lives.

At his departure His disciples asked “Is this now the time You are going to restore all things?” Jesus told them it was not for them to know the “times or seasons” which the Father decides by His own authority. But, they would receive power when the Holy Spirit came upon them, to be witnesses of Jesus all over the world.

Jesus is coming back, get busy. The question must be asked, “How would my day change if I knew He was returning within 24 hours?” And then the follow-up, “Why, then, do I not live that way today?”

His return holds so much promise. All evil, persecution and wickedness will be obliterated. Jesus will rule in perfection, making fairness and goodness the priorities of the New World. All pain will forever be banished. All sickness will disappear. All those who have trusted Him as Savior will be changed. We will have no more sorrow or sadness. And the final enemy, death, will be destroyed forever.

“Yes, Jesus Come!” Am I taking the initiative to work for His kingdom? Am I focusing fully on the goodness of Jesus each moment? Am I looking forward to the final renewal when He returns? Or am I just “looking busy” without my heart truly being in it?

“Yes, Jesus Come!” How many of my friends need to hear? How many of us need to be strengthened, encouraged, and filled with His Holy Spirit? Will I hear Him say, “Well done, good and faithful servant?” Am I waiting, looking, hoping to see Him this very moment of this very day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.