Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Prayers are Echoing

"Prayers are Echoing"
The air hums like the rattle around
high voltage wires. Each cubic inch must be filled with
flights of angels passing through this protected space.
Deliveries and consolations, announcements like
fireweed unmistakably framed.
Lift me from this tiny occupation, my linoleum tile
upon which I dwell. I am not well, though I am
painfully in love with everything You say.
Friends want to heal me, doctors ignore my calls
Sometimes
And prayers are echoing off the angels’ wings
like flowers in a toddler’s grasp.
I know He has answered; I know it though pain
wraps my head and rings it like a tornado siren.
I can live with the pain, but can I perform my obligations,
fulfill my occupation, earn an honest dollar?
I long to step back into the darkness alone,
or at the coast somehow for a week out of every 7 days
And cry myself to sleep, and awake to the ocean breeze,
and cry myself to sleep again before lunch is served.
I cannot think for more than 2 hours at a time,
and do not know if it is a crime to take pay for so
little return; pennies on the dollar, a seedling from
an entire orchard’s produce.
The air is humming, the angels watch and attend,
sent by my Master’s hand. How then, can I complain
At the end of the day when friends want to pray
Away the pain
That remains after they have said “Amen”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.