Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Button My Mouth

Button My Mouth
(“The Holy Spirit told me to go with them and not to worry.” Acts 11:12a)
Button up my mouth and stop the casual refrain,
I saw the way you looked when I mentioned my alcoholic friend,
so ready to empathize, knowing the lively eyes become vacant
after donning alcohol’s disguise.
You nodded at the need, ready to hear rehabilitation’s song,
you followed my story along the path from meeting to friending,
and the family we became, waiting for the happy ending
of a sober crawl out black molasses to concrete sidewalks
leading home.
I caught your eyes nearly tearing, a lantern in the backwards distance,
a flicker you remember; perhaps of another friend sicker than hopeless.
I heard the hand-me-downs of your own story when you simply asked:
“How did you know him.”
I heard the breath leave your lips too fast when I answered,
“Upon the reservation.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.