Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Like Angelic Clocks

Like Angelic Clocks

(“I will always look to you, as you stand beside me and protect me from fear.” Psalm 16:8)

I’d sit here forever if it could last
one more minute like angelic clocks counting down
the crevasse between dinner and lunch.
Those empty afternoon hours fill more than
straight-line pages of poetry jotted down to
cross the impasse between being and July.
Summer is a luxury;
noon is a magician’s wand;
dusk is a certain measure;
midnight the loon call with moonbeams
setting the backyard cedars on fire like
origami crepe paper. I wouldn’t blame you
if you scratched your head while I cut
a whole sentence out of fabric I found at
the Goodwill.

I’d invite you over for a beer;
I’ve wondered if you are aware that
your breath has moved me closer to shore
than I have been in twenty years.
I don’t mind the ocean, but the salt
has blocked my pores. I need a second
sunrise before we embark on this second act.
I don’t mind if the curtains fall,
I don’t remember the marks. I was cast before
first call. I knew what sparkle was;
I knew how daydreams swore. I wore
every word you unwrapped for me like a
t-shirt with an unknown logo pointing us back
to illumined mornings. We could hire a boat
to take us further from shore.

I’m in the mood for an adventure today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.