Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, June 3, 2024

Go Easy on Me

Go Easy on Me

(“May the Lord direct your hearts to God’s love and Christ’s endurance.” 2 Thessalonians 3:5)

I wish I could replace these words in my head;
every unbidden thought,
every unbolted shelf where memories hang by a thread.
Don’t believe everything you hear;
there are better days,
go easy on me.

In the most unconscious of ways my
soul has been shattered like a
deflated skeleton. I am dust among the stars now.

In the most mysterious of ways the
rain has smeared the ink
on my paper trail. But the directions to find me
are plain for those who seek them.

I could find you in your loneliness if only
you would search for me in my blindness.
On my most private days,
in my most inhibited hour
I still look for your form coming up the road.

I am scattered, I am whole;
I am tattered, I am just a stroll away
from words that ring with truth and love.

If only our words did not matter, if only
we were sponges heavy with water. If only you
could hear every shaky verb;
if only you knew I heard every accented note of
the song you’ve hidden in your heart.

Patience, infinity. Information, passivity.
Exhaustion, and a little rest.
Exhalation, and untested, our song will land
like a dove upon its nest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.