Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Sunday, March 24, 2024

The Homemade Mint Jelly

The Homemade Mint Jelly

(“Yes, for your sake and with Christ as my witness, I have forgiven whatever needed to be forgiven.” 2 Corinthians 2:10b)

Knowing you, knowing me,
knowing the panels painted across the banquet hall,
we could have danced better if we had
the chance.
We could have picked our names out of a hat
instead of waiting for circumstances to turn
us toward each other,
forward like brothers,
singing the light that rarely enters the dark creases
of monochrome minds.

I will never hold my breath again waiting for the
banquet to begin.
I’ll share every loaf of bread until
their shelf-life expires. We’re all just
sons and daughters hoping to hear someone
cheer us on. Please pass the butter and
the homemade mint jam the neighbor brought by
when she saw us pull in after ten days gone.

Remember how the sun came out, five in the afternoon,
after the thunder unloaded its hoarse voice all day?
Remember how it felt let go a sigh once we knew
we did not control anything?

I wish I could update you in person; ride into town
like Jesus on the donkey. Not that there is any
comparison; the beast is the only loaner I could find.
I walk unevenly, but want to play fascinating rhythms
too late in my career. Just the time I get the hang of it

My audience will change.

Seeing you, seeing me,
seeing the grass leaning into Spring,
we can find another chance (the second act?)
and take our original names into the dance hall
where the light falls, spun like abalone shells.

Do you remember when we drove all night
just to find a new
address to call home?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.