Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Your Face in the Rain

Your Face in the Rain

(“The Lord's faithful love never comes to an end. He never stops being kind to us.” Lamentations 3:22)

I don’t want to sound like him,
I don’t want to look like them.
I don’t want to dance like a thousand children,
I only want to see your face in the rain.

I want you to know me by the lines on my face,
I want you to know you will never be replaced.
If you want to find me,
if you’re looking for my soul,
come look in the puddles
on the low side of the road.

I don’t want to be like you,
I don’t want to see like us.
I don’t want to read a hundred mystery books,
I only want to see your face in the rain.

Come visit me at the hovel I know the best,
come look me up where grit and grace come to rest.
Come sit with the broken,
if you really want to know
what moves me today,
what is nourishing my soul.

I don’t want to shine like gold,
I don’t want to be that old.
I don’t want to sing another dozen songs,
I only want to see your face in the rain.

You may not enjoy the cuisine,
you may prefer to be unseen.
You may return to your home
once
you see I like being alone.

I don’t want to get a raise,
I don’t want to occupy space.
I don’t want to number my weeks and my days,
I only want to see your face in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.