Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, February 26, 2024

If I Believed in Fairies

If I Believed in Fairies

(“Because of the tender mercy of our God, the dawn from on high will break upon us.” Luke 1:78)

The day was silent save for the
sleet needles tapping on my window.
They only teased of coming snow.

If I believed in fairies, I imagine they sing
just above our wavelength, carried on ice shards
from clouds to loam or heather.

But today is quiet, a whisper would be too loud.
Your voice, though, cannot disturb the empty canvas
I sit in these days.

One word, or two, and before you know it,
the sun mocks the morning blues away.
Stay. We will sing until the next morning

Or

Until another day like this one.

I can dream standing up,
I can dream step by step,
I can imagine a hand on my shoulder,
I can conjure someone whose silence
turns my reliance on solid ground completely
upside down.

Did you like the photo I sent you. I am
old now
aren’t I?
The lines mark days I no longer remember,
the gaps between my teeth
make me smile, mouth unopened.

But there are still corners of my brain where
I imagine dancing at prom,
reading out loud,
sitting or rolling down a hill until
we can’t stop laughing and remember
everything we hoped would develop with enough
time on our hands.

Today I can see it slightly, when days felt summer,
when nights felt like love. Today I remember and
fill the empty spaces with your portrait

And finish the painting with words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.