Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Wednesday, November 22, 2023

A Rolodex of Alibis

A Rolodex of Alibis

(“The tax-collectors and prostitutes are going into God’s kingdom ahead of you!” Matthew 21:31)

I want to live so close to the bottom of things
that there is no place to fall.

Let me stumble into it every day.

I want a head start from the back of the line,
a 100-yard dash untimed. There are better conversations,
deeper fascinations after the crowd has gone home.

I’ve heard the sea floor is polluted;
I may have contributed some.
Tempted to float above it all,
I’m too weightless to matter.

I want to meander with the undemanding,
I want to discover the spectrum just
out of hearing. I want to breathe the dark
midnight air and find
the songs so unbuttoned that our voices
fail.

I used to keep a rolodex of alibis,
reasons to place me far beyond the crimes,
but now I list every visit,
smoke and wine, grain and mud,
and leave the search and rescue behind.

This may disappoint you; this may be
the final spin
that slings you outside my orbit.

This may be
the unleavened bread
that we break, human and touch,
like mudpies and pollywogs. I want to live

Undisguised.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.