Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, August 21, 2023

The Wind Was High Today


The Wind Was High Today

(“Worthy is the slaughtered Lamb to receive power, wealth, wisdom, and might, and honor, glory, and blessing.” Revelation 5:12a)

The wind was high today, but I did not mind.
The trees took it all into themselves, like they were being
born again.
It sounded like white water. It sounded like the
humming fan that puts me to sleep.
And I wonder why
men with only words for their authority
want to be Lions,
want to drive fear like a tank
right over the indigestion you feel
with their passive aggressive side dishes
they serve with every meal.

But today I saw two fawns, nearly ready to face
the adult autumn in the hills. I saw two rabbits
standing still even when dogs from two adjoining
yards tried to bark them away from their lunch of grass.
I saw a finch unafraid to share space with
mid-sky ravens and
upper atmosphere eagles.
And I wonder why
we’ve turned Jesus into a weapon of
mass; disgusting. Why we envision blood
flowing from his sword. Why we cannot wait
for him to stand on a mythical mountain and split
the wild world in two, leaving a hell of panic, a
Pit for nearly all creation to burn into.

Today I ate an apple from my front yard, greening red,
tart and perfect. I shared the same meal as
the deer who frequent my fields.
And I wonder why
we don’t invite more neighbors and share our pain
over pain de mie and wine in the sun.
Why we would not invite everyone;
to lay our burdens down and
dry the tears that nearly drowned us last time
and remember the suffering that spoke far more
of love
than a

Devouring lion ever could.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.