Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, August 12, 2023

The Tunnel I Traveled

The Tunnel I Traveled

If you had known me earlier perhaps
you would have seen the tunnel I traveled.
No compass, no sun to steer by, no stars to
navigate my way. If you had seen the cavern
I thought was home
I have no doubt (but then again, I do have some)
that my way would be clear to you. I might not
find my way out in the ashen dark. I might not
know where I arrive.

Sometimes I feel I must apologize for
the things I write. Sometimes my mediocrity
gets the best of me.
I’ve visited caves once or twice when they
turned out the lights. I could not see my hand
in front of my face, but I always hoped for one
person
to tell me the darkness was not my fault. The turning
of the tunnel with no light at the end
was a trajectory that was not part of me.
Or someone to tell me that, though I could not
find my way,
that it was still okay to feel, to cry, to misbehave,
to slip on the slimy stone path of the cave.

Why do I tell you this? Can I trust you?
Will you hear me? I know you will. I only hope
you don’t harm me or misinterpret me. Some day
all my anxieties will fade as the lights open for the
first act of a play.

I’ve discovered very little. I know less than I did
a decade ago. Some friends know everything.
I can hear them preach faraway on the
everyday hills.

Listen my dear one, my beloved two, my three who
will not be surprised that I write this way; I’ve lost
too many
who knew me well,
I do not want to lose another.

I’ll wait just inside the cave and hope for a visit
from just one
who will light a fire between us,
warm up my late life heart
and listen the whole night long.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.