Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, February 7, 2022

Speak it to Me Warmly

Speak it to Me Warmly

 (“I always thank my God for you because of his grace given you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Corinthians 1:4)

Speak it to me warmly so I can hear.
Allay my fears.
All I want is to know you better
so my bones don’t shatter every time
you want to talk to me. 

The clouds shrouded the hills across the river,
a film noir in February,
and the douglas firs on the ridge looked like
castles in the fog.
 

I do see it in you, the things I miss in me,
it has always been this way.
From the onset of my first failure
to the day I sailed to your door
I have seen poorly and heard the thunder
on sunny days.
 

The marina invited all the neighbors and their
dogs
to ease into a winter sun that reflected off the
green glass water where boats moored still as
stopped clocks. The ducks dove below the surface
nonchalantly grabbing lunch.
 

I do hear it in words I have forgotten.
Remind me then.
All I want is to breathe easier
so my arms don’t shake every time
I sit down to write.
 

Don’t call me crazy, but I hear bagpipes
that sing of Scottish highlands.
I hear fiddles and babies bawling for
their mothers.
I hear the sheep bleating, the sky receding,
and evening calling out to dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.