Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, February 21, 2022

Longed For

Longed For

(“Is Ephraim my dear son? Is he my darling child? For as often as I speak against him, I do remember him still. Therefore my heart yearns for him; I will surely have mercy on him, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 31:20)

There are voices that create images,
a phone call that draws your face.
There are heartbeats that create longing,
a breath that inspires memory.

Yesterday was a runaway train;
ache was a body, ache was a mind,
ache was a stiff iron rod that nailed the day
shut.

There are photos that create voices,
a crayon drawing held by magnets.
There are windows that frame our yearning,
a stained glass that refracts every song.

Today is a blue sky after the snow teased it
early morning.
Winter is crystal, sun is weak, air is crispy,
ache was an effigy, an avatar, a hollow replacement
for loved ones

Longed for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.