Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Why I Write at All


Why I Write at All

(“Therefore, your gates shall be open continually; they shall not be shut day nor night.” Isaiah 60:11a)

This is a day I ask myself why I write at all.
Why I pushed my body out of bed when the
weight of pain
nailed me to the mattress.
I turn my face to the wall,
feel myself shrinking,
feel the rusty gates closing on
my weary soul.

If you were sitting beside me
you would see the sun shining
and wonder how, on a day like this,
I could feel so small, so full of gravity,
so locked into nothing at all.

And if you asked, I could not explain why
my feet are raw from gravel,
my hands bent from electricity,
my thoughts packed with melancholy,
my eyes scratched from tears below freezing.

Surely God would rescue
me from the doldrums
(now that storms rarely crash over my bow)
and fill my sails once more.

Yesterday as I turned out the lights and
went to lock the door before sleeping,
I found it locked already.

I had not left the house all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.