Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, September 27, 2021

I Blazed at First

 C56e42a5ef0054b20fa91644

I Blazed at First

(“You are a hypocrite! First, take the wood out of your own eye. Then you will see clearly to get the dust out of your friend’s eye.” Matthew 7:5)

I have to admit I grew weary of the game,
for every speck I found, every sin I policed,
they always discovered at least another ten in me.
I blazed at first, burning my way through movie titles,
endless recitals of suggestive rock lyrics,
digging deep into conspiracies that proved the
world crept in through the pores of the careless
who let their oil run out and their lamps grow dim.
I was a fire, they were the lukewarm from whom
I would purge
every fallen poison and hidden urge to prove
my worth.

And yet I could not deny, had they spied my evening drive
or my bored routine,
they would lay eyes on a pretender, a show-off,
a bad actor in a good drama,
hoping to prove
my worth.

One day, or a thousand, I cannot remember clearly,
my energy left me. And yet

I did not stop the policing. I was impure as oil and water,
an emulsion unnatural. Some days demons ran scared,
blind eyes brightened, tiny lives heard the winds that bring
life like Spring. And other days (or nights) I pounded my head
against the impossible, the uncured humanity that
condemned me.

And yet,
dead to devices, the fire burned out, the fuel consumed,
every ember a remnant of the cloak I wore
for appearance’s sake. Reduced.

Today I play in the meadowed remains where wildflowers
grew after the old-growth crumbled when I thought I stumbled,
where only seeds remained to brighten my humanity
again. And I’ve found logs and specks,
failures and driftwood are all welcome here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.