Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Another Unfastened Heart

 

Another Unfastened Heart

(“But anyone who drinks the water I give will never be thirsty again. The water I give people will be like a spring flowing inside them. It will bring them eternal life.” John 4:14)

My heart is not cold, friend,
my heart is broken. It is
wounded and scrapping,
apologizing too often;
just a sapling pretending to be
full grown.

Do you like my story so far? Or have I created a narrative with
no exit or u-turn?
I fear the dead end will now hit me
head on.
That’s what happens on road trips
when conversation turns deeper than
a quick lunch or the tenth text in a row.
The heart leaks out and you cannot restore
what the traveler heard in your moment of
unguarded truth. The truth leaks out, the
memory is burned,
and the story cannot be unlearned.
Many have parted ways after such over-exposure.

My heart is not silent, friend, my heart is old. It is
wrinkled and flattened,
deflated and out of ideas for
a new opening paragraph.
Ask me the same question again,
I will be less honest, and time will bury
the lie.

Many have silenced their fears at such candid disclosure.

My heart is hopeful, friend,
my heart is watered. It is
thirsty and gladdened
by streams of simple words
from another unfastened heart.
Ask me the question again,
I will not lie, and will let the waters
refresh this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.