Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, September 7, 2020

With the Cold, Cold Water

 Vicks for Baby: Is It Safe?

With the Cold, Cold Water

(“This is the teaching you have heard from the beginning: We must love each other.” 1 John 3:11)

I was born with the cold, cold water streaming across my toes,
I was born with my head held fully upside-down.
I have lived sideways and hidden,
I have lived every way and have, unbidden,
sought friendship that would last for more than
a year and a half.

I was born in Texas, I remember that,
or was told. West Texas where the oil spurts and
the hills are flat.
I have lived coastal and prairie,
I have lived every town and have, unsurely,
sought placement among cohorts that would last for more than
a lifetime and a half.

I was born like others, I am sure of that,
or know it. I was raised first of four whisked across 66
to East L.A.
I have lived playground and school dance,
I have lived every kiss and tell, transplanted
before anyone knew me well enough to leave the floor early
with a better boy.

I was born lean and long, I’ve seen the photos,
and so I should have kept it up, but stopped short before
my teen years hit me.
I have lived every Shakespeare and absurd,
I have lived improv and dialogue, undeterred
by poor reviews and silly plots. I only wanted to end my
life well.

I was born, so were you. We were born for companionship.
I didn’t guess that, and neither did you. It’s just my slipups that
block the view.
I have lived to find a single friend,
I have lived every dream that fades; I would amend
everything I said (stupid dreams of a boy too young) to keep
a friendship I may have thrown away.

I was born, I have lived, but my tears are uncanny. My emptiness
almost insanity. So I ask, handle me with care, be gentle with me.
I am less damaged than you think, only another castaway dressed in skin
looking to be a friend if I have to learn it again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.