Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Friday, May 8, 2020

I Need a Getaway


I Need a Getaway

(“I mean that you have been saved by grace because you believed. You did not save yourselves; it was a gift from God.” Ephesians 2:8)

Yes, it’s true; I need a getaway.
I need a gateway to another lane.
This one has become narrow and the end
is impossible to see.
I just need to get faraway.
I need a fairway with easy approach shots.
This one is hilly and constricts
my point of view.

Yes, it’s true: I have wandered far;
far beyond my better welfare (or so they say).
This globe has become slippery and my shoes
squeak like spaceboots on the moon.
Look how easily I’ve squandered
the content I acquired from garage to alley
and back. There is little room remaining
to add another point of view.

Yes, it’s true: I shouted:

“I don’t believe in God anymore.”

And if it is any solace to you, it was
at the tail end of a dream, but still,
everyone I’ve ever known could hear the
honest scream like it was streaming
through every device upon the planet.

I hope you will not fan it into flame,
I hope you will not forget my name,
I hope for one, maybe two, who will take the fall with me,
will let their life stall with me,
bent just like me, bent just like a question mark;
front and back. Oh, the mockingbirds on the lawn
have not inquired about my faith.

It was only a dream, but it pushed open the pressure valve
that I kept closed and sealed so no one could see the leak
and puddles
of my doubt.

But now you know; I need a vacation;
I’ve heard all the explanations;
They are imprinted on halfsheets of scratch paper
And in every synapse firing through my brain.
Just the same; I need a holiday.
I need a holy day that doesn’t make me
darker or stab me sharper than
than the lightning that stings my devoted
attempts at piety.

I need a getaway; a merciful respite where,
though unaware of the divine at all,
I am cared for personally hidden from those who
thought my gauzy revelation (my god, my god, why?)
was surely my downfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.