Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Sunday, February 23, 2020

Unlike Pie

Dome of Hagia Sophia
Unlike Pie

(“Greet Andronicus and Junia, my fellow Jews who are in prison with me and are prominent among the apostles. They belonged to the Messiah before I did.” Romans 16:7)

I cannot fit me on this piece of paper,
I cannot fit me inside your head.
All you know are slices of me, no
matter how long our mutual road.
All you know are minutes and seconds,
and days occasionally,
but, unlike pie,
every slice of me is different. Every radii
leads to a different face of my circumference.

If I turned on my axis slightly
since the last time you saw my face,
would see the tears or my eyes shining brightly?
Would you remember, once you walked away,
when I told you the truth that was like a scab,
and unrolled my rind to show the scars within?
I cannot fit in the universe,
I cannot fit within your perimeter.
All you know is mixed with
all you think should be,
and you do not know the volume of me.
But the partial eclipse made you
turn away from me
before you knew the depth of me,

And before you revealed the hidden
pulp beneath your skin
you turned again
to offer the gleeful shell of one
who is certain of every spark in the universe,
every opinion offered in the dark.

But me, I am unbreakable, though I’ve been
harvested, winnowed and threshed.
I have not been broken, I am not a fraction,
I have been opened and refreshed while
others just examined my remains.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.