Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, January 6, 2020

The First Shot


The First Shot

(“Then Peter remembered that Jesus had said, `Before the cock calls, you will say three times that you do not know me.' Then Peter went out and cried very much.” Matthew 26:75)

I understand what you did.
I understand why you did it.
Your leader was threatened.
You had a permit for open carry.
They came looking for him like a common criminal.
They came to arrest him warrantless and illegal.
It was dark and he was vulnerable.
He was unarmed, and you could protect him.
It was dark and you took the first shot.
Barely missed the head-shot and took out an ear.

But then he finally spoke: “Stop! If you keep pulling your gun,
you’ll die by a bullet one day.”

You slunk back into the blue night and watched them
take him away.

I understand what you did.
I understand why you did it.
Your kingdom was falling.
You had the coin of the realm in hand.
They turned to bottle caps you thought you were winning.
They turned to worthless stock and your mind went whirling.
It was cold and you were shivering.
You were undone, weak, and unprotected.
It was cold and she took the first shot.
Spot on, “You were with him”. The earshot landed.

But then the rooster crowd thrice: “I know you will say
you do not know me at all.” And you were not sure you knew
him
at all anymore.

You slunk back into the red night and wept with
nothing left to stand for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.