Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Friday, September 13, 2019

Utter Nonsense



Utter Nonsense

(“The Jewish leaders still refused to believe the man had been blind and could now see, so they called in his parents.” John 9:18)

Believe me, every day I search for the opening,
the escape from mangled dreaming into the open sun,
the disinfected fabric of a t-shirt on the line.
I ache in the morning, pain and reaching,
I am muddled until noon, (is there a letter in the mail?)
I limp into the afternoon and evening cannot come too soon.
I hope there is a knock at the door, a friend, a smile, or
more honestly,
a payment for the time I’ve spent, failing more than trying,
looking into lost eyes and seeing the life inside.

Trust me, every night I sleep and hope
the dreams will be ladders of heaven
instead of escalators into the past.
My filing system is busted, my friends who I trusted
appear bringing letters of approval, and sometimes
alphabets of fear. I can no longer find the notes for
public readings, music for psalms and singing.
I’m late for every meeting and it shows when I bring
suggestions no one understands. Do I speak in tongues?
Have I lost my mind? Is my age that telling? Did I leave
my thesaurus behind?

Who knew that a vacuum could be so dense;
empty be so full of such utter nonsense?

So, I gaze into the blank, the blackness, staring at the door,
wondering if anyone visits the lonesome anymore. Here’s
my
unspoken blindness. Now shine on my day like
kids walking home after school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.