Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Full of Silence/and then some

Full of Silence/and then some

(“He is the Rock. His works are perfect. All his ways are right. He is faithful. He doesn’t do anything wrong. He is honest and fair.” Deuteronomy 32:4)

The moment was too full of silence,
abuzz with the smashing of atoms invisibly
making space for every thought unspoken. There was

No more to say.

The tears began with each telling,
the story repeated with different words and nuance,
inflection and outline, but the tears and the

Moment full of silence

Were always the same.

Our feet dragged going home. We have learned our
question well they days, “Are you ok?” I do not always
answer honestly, for it is her pain we mourn now

And not my own.

The world stands still with unexpected prognoses,
and the words blur after reading the emailed diagnosis
for the twelfth (feels like never). Don’t tell us

You’ll be strong,

We have not faced this before. And when it felt we could
breathe once more
the next blow came with threats and wind upon the sweetest
friend, the loveliest form and the most blameless frame ever
said yes to a man so far below her purity. She is light and
glows apropos. She is laughter itself, the out-loud giggle of
joy. Unmistakebly funny, she never defends her childlike
comedy.

So, I have to ask, O Rock upon which we’ve been shaken,
what heavenly economy has driven this silent storm her way?
She is more than mercy; she is grace itself; every sin, every act
of selfish compulsion, she erases with ease. I cannot dismiss the
harm I must have brought to her innocence; but she will not
remember what I am unable to forget.

Transfer her pain to me. Put it on my tab, let me repay
the streams of grace I have never deserved; the companion,
my dream-mate who only grows freer and freer over time.


Remember her graces, and from Your unfenced pastures of joy
bring her the nosegay of the wildest colors only Perfection
can supply.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.