Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, October 26, 2015

Stretching

Stretching

(“He (Jesus) said this to stretch Philip’s faith. He already knew what he was going to do.” John 6:6)

Everyone thought they knew, and they threw their opinions down like
challenges into the sand. The Messiah One has spoken to me, it seems,
so clearly,
that nearly everyone else should have heard to too.
The Master’s Plan is easy to understand, consult me first, I make it
clear to you.
My answers are quick, shooting off my tongue like bottle rockets
on Independence shortly after dawn. I’ll tell you who to vote for,
I’ll even take a photo of my ballot in the booth
and
splash on my social pages with comments neatly deleted.
Follow my lead, because I always follow His, and quickly,
no time at all, it’s true, we’ll turn back to the 60s when
everyone carried guns in the trucks to school. (Did I forget the
rules about separate drinking fountains and seats on buses?)
Listen to me as I listen to Him, we’ll dial it back to the 50s then,
“Father Knew Best” and everything got left to Beaver. (Did I
overlook McCarthy’s great day, when playwrights, artists,
comedians and misfits were painted so red they overshadowed
the Midwestern sunsets?)

I’m sweating on the inside, I only admit it to the so few who see these words;
the farther back I go, 100 years? The more terror I behold. Japanese internment,
females barred from voting, and it took more than two Native Americans to equal
one single immigrant. You would think they could make a Native equal two
after half had died in wars, raids, and death marches marking their way with tears.

Jesus make me see what I hear so poorly. Paint the impossible clearly
so I cannot be glib with good stories that can suck the tears straight out of
unsuspecting eyes,
but have little truth, little hope, and no facts at all behind them.

Jesus make me feel the burning in the throats of those who have cried
far too long over judgment days come far too early.
Jesus make me feel the rumbling doubling over inside the guts of
the tiny ones whose food comes and goes like autumn’s cold wind.
Jesus make me stop…


Make me stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.