Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Playing Nice

Playing Nice
Now, brothers and sisters, be filled with joy. Try to make everything right, and do what I have asked you to do. Agree with each other, and live in peace. Then the God of love and peace will be with you.” 2 Corinthians 13:11

“If you kids can’t play together nicely, you can’t play together at all!” Most of us recognize Mom’s voice behind those words, don’t we? My brother is two and half years younger than me, and I’m afraid I took advantage of that age difference as we grew up. One sunny west Texas day, Joel and I were playing outside. He was about three and I was five or six. We had little metal cars and were creating streets in the dust for them. Eventually, growing tired of that, I started just throwing my car up in the air and watching it fall. One time, quite by accident, it fell right on top of his skull. The blood scared me to death. I don’t remember how many, but the little guy required stitches.


But, it wasn’t always accidental. Older, and living in southern California, my parents felt I was finally old enough to be left alone with my brother. Big mistake! I cannot remember the exact circumstances, but I’m sure it was because he wouldn’t do something that I, the older brother had told him to do. We eventually got physical and he ended up with a bloody nose. Calling my parents right away, they made certain I shivered in fear until they arrived home. I am certain God is going to make me live with an older brother at least a portion of my time in heaven!

The church is sometimes compared to a family. God, as our Father, Christ or Elder brother, and the rest who follow Him are brothers and sisters. Sometimes we behave with all the best attributes of family. We take our needs to each other. We listen to each other. We stand up for each other and are the first to give comfort during sorrowful times.

But, just like my brother and I, sometimes we let our old nature have sway. There are times when a person is hurt simply by accident. Throwing my car into the air, I never expected to see my brother’s head bloodied. But, it happened. And occasionally we can get carried away, talking about some pet subject, and step on someone’s toes. Though I never meant to hurt my brother, our Mom and Dad taught me well that I needed to make it right.

Paul tells this congregation in Corinth to “make everything right”. There are far too many times that we let relationships rot on the vine because we won’t have the one conversation it might take to clear the air and begin to let wounds heal.

One Sunday I was talking about family from the pulpit. In great oratorical style I bemoaned the breaking apart of the family. I spoke of the pain of those from broken homes. As the crescendo reached its peak I exclaimed, “And a family is two parents with their kids! That’s the way God meant it!”

Dave found me in the hallway after most people had gone home. His eyes were red and he looked deeply pained. “Pastor,” he said, “Are my son and I a family?” I heard the heavens open and say, “Do you know the definition of ‘stupid’, my son? It might include what you said from My pulpit a few moments ago.” (No, God didn’t say exactly that, but, that’s how I felt.)

Dave had been through a nasty divorce. It doesn’t even matter who was at fault. This young man was serving Jesus and trying to raise his young son to follow Christ as well. According to my rant a few moments before, they were not a family! You never saw someone backtrack and apologize as quickly as I did. Not only did I love Dave, but I also knew him to be one who took things personally. Double whammy, and I had done the “whamming”.

Moms teach us a lot about this. We are moving into the political season in our country. Could we please have a couple of Moms sit down with all the candidates and please tell them, “If you can’t play together nicely, you can’t play at all!” Remember, a person is not a Christian candidate just because they believe in and support certain positions. They are also a Christian candidate if the act in certain ways.

I hope and pray that those who call themselves Christians, especially in the Presidential race, will treat their opponents with respect. The last two elections have been deeply disturbing, as people, candidates included, damned their opponents to hell. Christ is not honored at all if we are “right” on the issues, but yet treat our opponents with such demeaning disrespect and even lies. I hope Christians will rise up and say, “No more!” We expect “Christian” candidates to act like Christians.


When Paul says “agree with each other”, he is not saying we all have to sign off and have the same opinion about everything on a spiritual crib sheet. But, he is saying that if we live like family, the family of God, we are going to be people of peace. We are going to “agree” that the most important thing is Christ, and becoming like Him. We may agree or disagree on some points here and there, but let’s all agree with Mom. Learning to “play nice” is a sign of maturity. I haven’t hit my brother now for over 45 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.