Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Because You Say So

“When they had done this, they caught so many fish that their nets were beginning to break.” Luke 5:6

Having no portable PA system, Jesus borrowed, unannounced, one of two fishing boats onshore. The fishermen were finished for the day, washing their nets from the debris of the day and laying them out for the next. The crowd was growing larger and it was difficult to be heard. So, boarding the small craft, Jesus put out for shore just a bit. Both the water and the rising terrain in front of Him, made for a perfect outdoor arena, acoustics akin to the Hollywood Bowl.


Finishing His message Jesus returned the boat to the boys and told them to go back out, telling Simon (Peter), “Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch.” We are told what Peter  said, but nothing reveals his thoughts. Simon answered, “Master, we have worked all night long but have caught nothing. Yet, if you say so, I will let down the nets.”

I’m not certain, but if I was Peter I am sure a flood of thoughts would have plugged my mouth before I answered. “We’ve been at it all day, Jesus and we have just put all our rigging away! You’re no fisherman, you’re a teacher….I think. Actually, I’m not entirely sure what you are. How do you make a living? And…the deep water? Are you kidding? That’s the last place I would be putting down nets about now!”

But, the story hangs on a simple phrase: “Yet, if you say so, I will let down the nets.” What are you waiting for, dear Christian? What is it that Jesus has asked you to do? Why have you put it off? Are you afraid of failure? Unsure that Jesus knows what He is doing? Maybe you don’t want to embarrass yourself in front of your friends. The shoreline had a crease of fisherman with their boats dotting the shore. Why embarrass yourself? Why embarrass Jesus?

Oh, but what will happen when Jesus’ words are enough? What miracles might we see when we tell Him, “I don’t get it at all, but, since You’re that one that is telling me, I will do it!”

Even if you’ve never heard this story from Luke’s gospel, I am sure you’ve guessed what happens. They couldn’t pull in their nets quick enough. They caught so many fish that  “their nets were beginning to break.” They caught so many fish that it was about to capsize their own vessel. They called their partners in the other boat to come help, and with a great struggle, they inched back to the shore with fish flopping all over the deck and both boats about to capsize!

Why do we doubt Jesus? I am in a situation where my life is severely limited. Nearly 60, I struggle with headache pain every day. And, unless the doctors find a cure, or the Lord directly intervenes, I will deal with this the rest of my life. I pastor a small church in a tiny village in Southwest Washington State along the Columbia River. I have never lived anywhere more beautiful.

Recently a national ministry had an opening at their Corporate Office. The co-founders and partners are close friends of mine, and they had offered me nearly the same position some fifteen years before. My heart leapt as I considered the possibilities. It is a compassion ministry, helping those caught in earthquakes, floods and other natural disasters. It also assists the poor with food, clothing and learning skills to make a living.

The open position was to be the Corporate Pastor, in essence. The person occupying that job would minister to the entire staff as necessary, hold services and Bible studies to encourage the workers. But, even more exciting, this person is the liaison between the company and pastors or churches. He or she shares the exciting opportunities of helping the poor and recruits others to support the ministry through prayer and giving. The person also accompanies pastors to national and international relief missions to acquaint them with the ministry.

I am not certain, but I think, aside from my medical situation, I might have been offered the job. Imagine my deep disappointment at realizing my “dream job” was no longer available to me. I had done nothing to make myself less appealing; I simply could not rise to the expectations the position requires. Daily headaches cut into a 50 hour week like a buzz saw slicing a deli sandwich!

I am not yet at the point where I can tell you what sort of “catch” I have made. But I am telling Jesus, “Master, because it is You, I will do as You say.” Which, in my case, is throwing my nets over the boat in exactly the place I’ve been the last six and a half years. Which does bring up one other point:


It is up to me to throw the nets overboard. I cannot stay huddled and sad, sulking over my lost opportunity, and then just wait for Jesus to drop a load of fish on me from a helicopter overhead. No, I will take the nets I know so well, and, even though, toiling for some six years, the catch has been small; I will throw them over the side. By faith I will pull in whatever He puts in those nets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.