Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Take for Granted

Take for Granted

(“So the people were in two minds about him—some of them wanted to arrest him, but so far no one laid hands on him.” John 7:43, 44)

Mold him, decided; confusion, misguided.
The books are words end to front proving nothing new,
exchanging cartoons for truth, in the hunt for the real Jesus,
the appealing Jesus, the Jesus I can put my hands upon,
get a grip upon, make up my mind about, prove I was
right about.

Scold him, united; behold him, shortsighted.
The portraits, a Caucasian and renaissance man,
handsome and well-tanned, hair well-curled and not
a single eyebrow misplaced. Paint me a modern
Arab for my Christ and you will be closer.

Last night I lingered between two opinions
(I will not share their content here, for they may have
a significant effect upon my future)
but they pulled me two ways, hyper-extending my
dreams and my shoulders. If I were bolder I would
come down on one side or the other, and spend my
final few decades painting life the way I’ve seen it
instead of fitting it into a majority-vote opinion
that is sure to keep me comfortably provided for.


There are simply some things my contemporaries
take for granted
that have always caused me
to squirm in my seat just a little bit.
Why have I never asked what the squirming is for? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.