Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, July 15, 2013

Water that Runs

Water that Runs

(“But blessed are those who trust in the Lord and have made the Lord their hope and confidence.” Jeremiah 11:7)

Before I thought about the morning moving on
so quickly and afternoon racing toward the final turn
I could swear I had wasted another day. There is
a pillow on the couch where I lay my head, a case
washed twice a week, and a blanket with occasional shreds
where the quilt has dropped a thread or two. I sleep till
noon, I wish.

When I do not, on Monday most, I choose a movie near 10
and watch till noon. The pillow holds my thoughts, the blanket
my security and the cat, white and black, visits me prone,
nesting upon my chest and, face to face, insists she is queen
of the moment. Who is to say she isn’t.

It is impossible to tell now, lazy or pain. I would rather
putt a green or cycle the hills, the afternoon valve to release
the cooked-up schemes of my swarmed imagination.

See here, the way I trust. The way I used to. A drive to the ocean,
tennis with an ever-drooping forehand, or just hardcopy
and coffee
where the shards of afternoon are pieced on tables of conversation.
Why should I bow to electrons that strangle the proper music and dance?
Why should this phantom (there is neither mass nor matter) make each
thought chatter while outside rivers and sunshine are a chef’s perfect savor?

But the vise grinds and my brain whines at a ghost that hitchhikes my neurons.
The passenger is invisible, the itinerary a drumline from eyeball to eyeball,
cervical vertebra to dura mater; it does not matter that it will not kill me;
the unknown traveler has squeezed my arms past uncle.

Here are the pieces of my afternoon, a few forgotten invitations,
a commercial for shampoo and a movie about a speed jump-rope athlete;
it is all so fleeting, and yet I move through mud with the few thoughts
I can capture,
still (sometimes, some not) enraptured in this drought by
the streams of water that runs from (somewhere, always here)

throne to (all) His own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.