Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, June 1, 2013

The Carry Upheaves

The Carry Upheaves

(“So let us not grow tired of doing what is right, for in due time we will reap, if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9)

Looking for ways that are easier,
hoping for a quicker destination,
wondering where the yes is
while every no inserts its certainty.

The steep is higher, the length is final,
the heavy increases and the carry upheaves;
what began in luscious morning now
treads the dusty sweat. I pack my life
on my back
and between
my fingers
while greased perspiration nearly empties
the discovered from my hands.

On the final trail marked “summit”
I thought to arrive before day’s end,
but found every switchback a dizzy portal
that drops me within inches of my begin again.
I hold my head hoping no one notices,
breathe deeply to prevent the next aching gasp.
Conversation vibrates my skull, a million tiny
cracks
glancing off the pain’s habitation.

I would join you on the climb,
or for simple dinner banter,
a movie, a play, a cup of coffee
and afternoon laughter;
if you don’t mind my absence
10 minutes after arrival.


I still climb, and nap;
hope, then gasp;
seek, then sleep;
commune and speak
the most love I can
between ungrateful snaps
and apologies under my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.