Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Bursting

Bursting

(“God began to do a good work in you. And I am sure that he will keep on doing it until he has finished it. He will keep on until the day Jesus Christ comes again.” Philippians 1:6)

I.

While your expectations may be bursting,
pain a hammer and your soul its anvil,
the landscape is still flush with living springs,
the quiet stream sings the lullaby your may have forgotten.

While you search for momentary cover, a reminder
of safety, a friendship or another sign that the designs
you imagined are still within sight,
the plight with its vise-grip deadens the colors
you used to plant, presidential roses in a row.

While the numbers decrease, the failures constrict
the fancies you snagged with your singing imagination.
The days snap at you hearing, the morning is a bully
and evening is a tease with its offer of ease until
the day takes it all away again.

What can we say to the invisible agony?
What gain is there in repeating the couplets
out of time
when no one hears them the second, third
fifth or 10th time the title is announced:
“There is no cure for the atrophied brain”.

So says the pain that strangles the flow
from thought to light, light to dream,
dream to vision, and vision to…
And that, dear concerned friend, is all I remember.

II.

I’ve heard there is a work within me
and I pray it is so. The exterior is flaking,
the colors are fading, the frame is limping
with skeletal burrs.

I’ve heard it will continue, the will and the do,
and I suppose it is true.
But what once was easy, what once was free,
the words that set fire, the crowd that came to see;
these
are memories of days I played the music of the skies
and the came with cousins from hills and plains
to learn the dance and teach it to others.

Today the tune is confusing, my dance steps are ragged,
and a few watch for a day or two
(some, I’m sure who like the tune).
I am not a solo artist.


The tunes which spread town to town
now are only sounds of puzzling origin,
yet, I believe it honest,
the Author is true while I wriggle the same
as I did without the pain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.