Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, March 26, 2012

My Excuse


My Excuse

(“When He came to the disciples, He found them fast asleep and said to Peter, ‘So you were not able to watch with Me for a single hour?’” Matthew 26:40)

Sunshine shone on the therapy I missed;
I was racing to catch another glimpse of the lazy seal
who followed me as far along the riverbank as possible.
This time it wasn’t fantasy, I swear it; though it was someone else’s
experience
and not my own.

The sun had come out after days hiding behind the rain,
and I needed to explain the reasons I missed
the dialogue hour that insurance won’t cover,
but was ordered by forces beyond my control.
They had my phone number, knew where I lived,
but only called to poke me sharper about my need
to talk with you at all.

So, when someone showed the video of a seal following
their walk, I knew it would suffice, and would only spice
a hair or two to make it about me.

As to your other question, about my frequent naps,
all I can say (I can’t think of a better way) is sleep comes upon me
like an invitation from a grade school friend to a birthday party
at Disneyland. You may not understand this, but these days
sleep is my leap backwards before pain, shame and ego’s
frame on the wall that faded before I was ready.

Asleep, I cannot hear the solitary walls that waking squeeze my ears;
Asleep, I still do not see the wrong turns that have dumped me here,
Asleep, I can smell the sweet, walk the street in bare summer feet,
Asleep, I can dance, I can smile, I can hug, live, speak and love without fear.

So, as to your question, I once loved to pray until pain (who knows
how many kinds) deducted the time I had to do most anything at all.
I will not beg or excuse, my spirit still is willing, flesh still deathly weak;
and I thought clearer, loved better…

I cannot recall, the pain and trauma, plus offstage drama,
have nearly erased the places where words fit their proper slots.
I hope my syllables, stops and spots, match the meter of my
heart’s beat
to Your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.