Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Friday, December 23, 2011

In Fashion


“See, I come like a thief. Blessed is the alert one who takes care of his clothes so he need not go around naked and people see his shame.” Revelation 16:15

One of my recurring dreams as a youngster was going to school and realizing I was still in my pajamas. Sometimes I was even naked in the dreams. I hear it’s a fairly common theme, dreaming of the embarrassment of showing up somewhere either with the wrong clothing, or none at all.


Our relationship with Jesus is a lot like our clothing. Most of us get up, brush our teeth, shower and choose our clothing for the day. If it is a work day, we may put on a shirt and tie, along with matching slacks. If it is the weekend, old jeans and a t-shirt are fine. And, if it is a holiday, without a need to leave the house at all, comfy flannels are always the best. (Never, ever, though, should one be caught wearing one of those ugly Snuggies! I can’t think of any occasion for which those ugly fleece onesies are appropriate.)

As believers, we choose to “put on” Christ daily, or even moment by moment. Of course, Sunday morning demands our best “Jesus suit”; so we brush our hair a little more carefully than normal, put on our “saved and I know it” smile, adjust our halo just so, and walk out the door making sure our spouse and little one adjust their noise to an appropriate holy level. Whispering is ok while the pastor preaches, as long as he is not looking. Then boisterous singing is required once the hymns begin. We put on all the right spiritual clothing to match the first day of the week morning when all the other Christians will be doing the uniform inspections. It is important we pass muster!

Of course Monday dawns and we can put on our old selves. The holy smile is left in the closet and we take our “I mean business” face. Now, instead of the hushed tones meant for the sanctuary, we allow our voice to be raised as high as need be to make our way up the corporate ladder. And, when we get home, the children better understand the “I’m tired and you better leave me alone” face that comes through the door.

I’m not sure either scenario is what “putting on Jesus” truly looks like. And, even though I may not be very choosy about what clothing I wear day to day, it is of the utmost importance that I thoughtfully consider what spiritual apparel I put on. Instead of putting on the “cool” look so I can get through another day of High School, perhaps a Jesus has another choice in mind. What if I changed “cool” for “compassionate”?

And how about my business wardrobe? Maybe I can set aside my three-piece suit of that says “notice me first”, and take the “how can I serve you” blazer out of the closet for once. Instead of the, “what’s for dinner, I’m hungry now!” jeans, I can wear my “how was your day, and can I give you a hand” sweats when I come home.

These are all merely examples; putting on Jesus is more than just adjusting attitudes and facial expressions. It is something that happens deep within our hearts, where our real and true self lives. When we decide, day after day, to personally allow Jesus to shine from within us, then we are being well-clothed spiritually.

Jesus told a parable about a king who gave a wedding banquet. Everyone who was invited also received a set of clothing to wear at the reception. One fellow shows up late and barges right in, dressed in his own clothing. He figures, “Whatever, they ought to be glad I even showed up.” Not so, our late friend! The king kicks the guy out before he even knows what has happened.

Why? Because Jesus wants us to see that we need to rely on Him, not just for the “big ticket” of going to heaven, but for how we live (how we are dressed), day to day as we get there. That is why He reminds us that He will return “like a thief”. He doesn’t want any of us to be surprised or ashamed when He shows up. He wants us to be sure to take the wardrobe He has provided seriously.

Maybe it’s time for a spiritual fashion makeover? (Yes, I’ll admit I occasionally watch, “What Not to Wear.”) Go into your inner closet and throw out the old ugly wardrobe. Get rid of the torn sweatshirt of bitterness, toss the faded jeans of resentment, throw away holey shoes of self-righteousness…well, you get the picture. Throw of the old self, including everything the old self liked to wear. Put on the new person you are in Jesus, and keep that wardrobe on.

I hated the dreams where I showed up at school wrongly dressed, I sure don’t want to feel that way when Jesus returns!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.