Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Wilderness Hard Times


“I took care of you during the wilderness hard times, those years when you had nothing.” Hosea 13:5 (The Message)

Ah, the wilderness, the place where another human soul is days away, either by travel or because of broken relationships. The place where there is scarcely food or drink and where, though depopulated of people, creatures like scorpions, serpents and beasts have made their home. This is the literal wilderness to which God refers. When Israel was in the barest and most barren place, God took care of them.


It was there, in the middle of their “nothingness” that He provided. Actually, the Scripture literally reads, “I knew you” there. He didn’t parachute food packs down to His people in the wilderness, He personally provided. He made Manna, a completely new source of everyday food; appear each morning for their sustenance. He miraculously led Moses to a rock out of which flowed fresh spring water to quench their thirst. Later, in the New Testament, we are told that the Rock which followed them was actually Jesus Himself!

He provided for each need for the full forty years of their migration across the desert. He also guided them, leading them away from potential danger and finally to the Promised Land.

He says, “I took care of you during your wilderness hard times.” And, hasn’t He? When we had nothing, when our lives were wandering, not knowing whether we were traveling the right road or not, He took care of us. Even when we knew the right way and walked away, turning our backs on His good provision, even then, He knew us. When we had nothing, and were in dire danger from our own self-seeking, God still poured out the richness of His mercy to us in Christ!

And, though sometimes, after deciding to follow Him, this life has felt to be a wilderness, He still takes care of us. In the times that seem so hollow, human fellowship so distant, and even God’s face a dim memory of better times, He has not departed. He still, even in the barest seasons, truly knows us.

Though we may wander, He daily provides the sustenance still of Manna, the “bread” who is Jesus, the constant fellowship of our sweet Redeemer. Though the desert sucks out all of our energy, leaving us parched, Father God pours out His invariable stream of love and mercy to comfort us. We may travel the desert where hardship threatens, where tears fall over our solitary state, Jesus’ kind presence is unfailing, comforting the loneliness that haunts the wilderness nights.

Oh how forgetful we become. This verse is written to Israel when they are in a very good place economically. They now have everything they need and have forgotten God’s goodness. Let us not be so. Let my soul never forget the mercies of the One who speaks kindness when days seem harsh.

May worldly prosperity give me only more reason to love Him who never failed me when I had nothing to my name. May present joy and success give me more motivation to point to Him who led me out of my sorrows into such a beautiful place.

Whether plodding the lonesome desert or living it up with friends on a tropical beach, may I constantly remember that God has truly taken care of me during the wilderness hard times. May I recall with great love and gratitude that when I had nothing, He brought to me everything my soul ever needed, all of it in Christ Jesus my Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.