Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, October 3, 2026

It Has Been Too Long

It Has Been Too Long

(“God is faithful, by whom you were called into fellowship with his son, Jesus Christ our Lord.” 1 Corinthians 1:9)

It has been too long between steps that
lead to your house. I visited years ago and
still have the memories misting in my mind.
We both grew bolder with age.
What could we talk about that we didn’t
already suspect? Predilections of piety
sometimes shamed our silly expectations
that someone might buy us lunch.
For those who thought it all was certain,
for those who had answers to every question,
we only kept our silence and waited for something
less extreme.
We longed for a baptism that would make the
circle larger. We knew it younger and
wondered how it splintered now.

Do you remember the halcyon days when
pretense
had not yet been learned? Do you call to mind
the ways that finished the days when we walked the
two miles home from school? We took the bus
a couple of times when we were freshmen.
Sometimes we hitched a ride with the girl from
down the block. I think we both fell for her and I
doubt
she remembers either of us now.

It has been too long since we shared a glass of wine
together. We let it breathe. The last time I saw you
a machine was doing the breathing for you and I hope
you know I came to visit you. I muddled my way through
the Lord’s prayer three or four times holding your hand
a day before you left for good.

It has been too long and now only lengthens like
the shadows on an autumn afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.