Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

The Trajectory of My Ennui

The Trajectory of My Ennui

(“’For I am the Lord who acts with gracious love, justice, and righteousness in the land. I delight in these things,’ declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 9:24)

The trajectory of my ennui
landed me at the corner of the sea.
I was too late to see
the tidepools and their creatures.
I wondered where the other seekers had landed.

The tide was up full, the sand lapped up
the foam and held the captured seaweed to
compliment the scalloped design flat until
the cliffs that rose above it all.

I tried to compose myself, I tried to understand
how I had missed the very
thing I longed for; how I began my mission
thinking there was so much more.
I shook without thinking, there was no one else
on the shore. The wind salted my day and I had
nowhere else to go.

The language of the waves was incoherent as
they hid craggy black homes of the
sea anemones and urchins. Nearly neon,
their green and purple sheen waited below the
atonal words of the tide’s uncovering.

A line of stone, a short-wall and a bedrock
cornerstone,
outlined the ruins of an ancient fortress. The
foundation was filled with
water and sand.
Once built to protect the legal citizens,
It was now a haven for starfish and hermit crabs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.