Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

A Package Arrived Today

A Package Arrived Today

A package arrived today winking at
my front door, a brown cardboard box,
fiber tape around the perimeter, my name,
my address,
my zip code. I forgot to open it.

While the sun shines my mood melts into
golden reflections that are obscured
by the winter rains. I still wish I could see
you
again.

The box was filled by human hands, there is
no doubt.
And yet, you have been gone so long, I hoped it
had been sent by angel mail, settling on my porch
with your voice, your laugh, even your tears inside.

And still the sun has not changed. I wrestle,
then reflect, then take a glass of chardonnay
standing erect between my pear and cherry trees
feeding me, shading me, telling me their secrets of
how many tongues have tasted their sweet inventory.
I passed a lemonade stand on my way home.

The sweat cooled my forehead, shadow and breeze;
the dogs followed lawnmowers across open fields and
I,
I hoped the box held something immaterial that would
permeate the losses of the years. I wonder

If the trees know more than they let on.
I wonder if the cherries can tell the difference
between the mouths old men living and young loves
too soon gone. And I taste one

Before I open the box, unwrap the plastic inside,
and, with the nectar still on my tongue,
hope to find the explanation within.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.