Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, April 4, 2023

I Will Come See You Soon

I Will Come See You Soon

(“The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor.” Luke 4:18a)

Brother man, you really set it off when you landed in this town.
“Gospel” was your favorite word,
but people heard with ears so tired it sounded like babble.
“Good News” is what you proposed, echoing the First Igniter
who stood to declare the Story all creation had listened to hear.

You were known for your Harley and Big Bad Bob
your Excitable Boy. (He was named after Bob Marley.)
Four legs and Labrador energy,
he kissed everyone full on the lips while expecting a game
of catch
in the living room.
You bought a sidecar just for your trips through the hills
along
the Columbia river.

The poor were your heartache, the earth was your cause,
the outcasts, oh, let’s be frank, the gays that were kept
from wearing vestments. You walked in their parade. You
collected more canned food than pickups could haul.
You fed a hundred on Christmas, recruited our town’s best
chef. You joined me for Thanksgiving, sometimes just five
around a table.

Every word was like a roman candle, some called you irascible,
others saw only the flames of love. You shall always be
my favorite Lutheran,
and I your favorite lapsed Pentecostal. You called me your pastor,
but it was your friendship I treasured.

You and I, no longer standing behind pulpits, lived only a half mile
from each other. I would turn the corner, stroll past the view where
the river can be seen between the trees, then walk up your driveway,
inside your sliding glass door, and find you watching a classic movie
that you had watched a hundred times before. Oh Brother man, I
have a wife to keep me company. You have no one. Our visitors
are
zero. And I mourn the emptiness you bear.

So I don’t know
if it had to happen this way. But life started to leave
you weary, it leaked from every pore. Your heart, so
over-exposed,
had less than ten percent to give. You coded
four times
in ICU, Covid invaded your lungs and the man
who never canceled a service or appointment
now relied on a tiny cohort of friends. You would
breathe on your own
for the shortest of days.

They call it
comfort care,
and you are feeling no pain. Today the
chaplain
anointed you with oil, your friend standing by
while the nurse disconnected the last tunnel of
oxygen that pumped your lungs full.

Your body was beaten, but your body is tough.
I do not know how long, brother man, before
you expire; slowly, or all at once.

When you do, slide like the ocean breeze into
the slipstream as Christ leads you home. Please
wait for me, I will come see you soon.


5 comments:

  1. Absolutely Beautiful. And an Amazing Tribute to your friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this so much, Mark! Friends forever all all eternity, you two will be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only met Randal a handful of times, but I loved his heart and passion. RIP Brother, Sonya Tover

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonni Haas DelGrecoApril 5, 2023 at 5:48 PM

    What a beautiful tribute. I, along with Randy’s family, would like to send you our greatest thanks for being a friend, lending a shoulder, an ear and a part of your heart to our brother and dad. Knowing someone was with him on his final journey makes it a little better, as no one wants to take their final steps without support. Over the years, our lives went in different directions for many reasons that are meaningless in death and should have been equally meaningless in life. It’s easy to think you will always get a second chance to rectify what happened, make amends and hold each other, one last time. Please know, Randy had a family that loved and cared about him albeit from a distance, he was loved. Sometimes love is difficult and does not always build the bridge it should, despite the intentions that are always there. I know our Lord is holding him now and probably getting an earful on what each and every tattoo meaning is and maybe an earful on how “he would have done it”, sharing an opinion or two, maybe. I’m so happy to hear of all the good things he did in your beautiful town and his community. I know his heart felt it’s best when helping those in need. Again, I thank you for being with my brother so that his last ride was one where he felt loved. Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And I am sure you loved him as only a sister can. :)

      Delete

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.