Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Monday, March 13, 2023

Like a Night Uncovered

Like a Night Uncovered

(“But Jesus still did not reply. Pilate was amazed.” Mark 15:5)

There is a silence where weariness can
find its rest,
a confidence that envelops everything the
mind cannot digest.
The words are too heavy to lift,
the incense replaces trials and tests
like classical guitar, like a night uncovered,
like a celebrity sitting in the corner with
a shoebox covering his head.

Would it change if we were recognized,
or would conversation disguise our fears,
would answers come too quickly, would our
quick defense give us away?

I cannot see them between their paragraphs,
their citations and accusations tipped their hand
long ago.
They thought persuasion was what made me speechless.
It was their hubris instead.

There is an island where everyone can
breathe again,
A place in the sun that shines between
molecules of green and coconut palms.
A dozen sit on the golden sand telling
their stories unabandoned. There are no
juries or clinical trials, only beautiful eyes that
weep at joyful chapters as well as sad.

Let me rest my soul in your silence,
let my face finally relax.
I would memorize this moment forever,
I would pray you help it last. Let me
memorize the unworded countenance,
captivate me with the rhythm of your heartbeat
and steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.