Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Sunday, January 22, 2023

Once the Evening Falls

Once the Evening Falls

(“Jesus put His hand on him with loving-pity. He said, ‘I want to. Be healed.’” Mark 1:41)

I would rather be hugged in mud than
sit in sanitized lectures.
Come closer, let me feel your breath.
Sneak up on me like my tiny chihuahua;
she sniffs at my feet if I do not notice her.

I would rather receive one knowing glance than
open a hundred cards in the mail.
Come closer, don’t leave it to chance.
Surprise me like the birthday when
a friend I had not seen in 40 years showed up
unmasked and asking nothing.

Share a bowl of oatmeal with me,
let our fingers touch as you place it before me.
Cut the sandwich diagonally and let
the noon pass between, lingering long enough
that I do not forget your voice

Once the evening falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.