Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Sunday, April 10, 2022

A Song so Incomplete


 A Song so Incomplete

(“Embarrassingly I admit that next to them we must look very weak!” 2 Corinthians 11:21a [The Message])

I wanted to dash off a quick note to tell you
how sorry I am
I never brought the hammer down
or
embarrassed your misgivings on purpose.
Was I too weak for that?

It also has been brought to my attention that,
because I refused to force certain wanderers
to return
I lost a few sheep along the way.
Was I too silent for that?

Here and now,
as I look back,
I only wish I had whispered more often,
embraced the granite wills,
and let them find their way
among the walls and mazes of
uncertainty.
I hope I refrained and left no punched holes
in the pulpit.

I wanted you to see me without my disguise,
a fool, a clown, a brow with lines of doubt
even when faith was the word. I wanted to
unmask myself
before myself
became glued too far forward.

I hope you recognize in these lines,
not some guru eating gelato,
but another ant on the hill trying to
make sense of a world
far too large to paint in a lifetime.

The few I hammered only hid their
mask beneath more greasepaint and
shoe polish. The few who hammered me
never asked where I am living now.

Come, let us design a song so
incomplete it
leaves us nothing at all
to brag about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.