Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Sunday, December 26, 2021

You Have Not Disappointed Me

 


You Have Not Disappointed Me

 

(“My dove, in the clefts of the rock, in the crevices of the cliff, let me see your face, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely.” Song of Song 2:14)

 

Today I hear the Spirit saying to those who are weary in the mission of loving others deeply, of loving as you are loved, of loving your enemy, and of doing good to all:

You fear you have disappointed me, have let me down, have been misunderstood, have spoken out of turn, have made no progress. You are frightened as a dove hiding in the clefts of the rock. You have shielded yourself because you have been hurt in the attempt to love others. You have shielded yourself because you fear you have failed. You have shielded yourself because you feel you no longer are useful. You have shielded yourself, alone, and fear the tools of love have been misused in your hands.
 

The Spirit say, Come. Let me see your face. Speak and I will hear. Speak, though your words are clumsy and awkward. Speak, for to me your voice is always sweet. Have I not chosen to reside within you? Have I not hidden myself within your heart? So, do not hide from me, my love, but come, rest, and find the gentleness of my yoke. Let me shield you as a mother hen does her chicks.  

The Spirit says, you have not disappointed me, how could you? I have made you; I have seen your beginning and your end, I walk with you in front and behind, above and below. You can never disappoint me because I am acquainted with all your ways. Did the Father tell the prodigal how disappointed he was? No, he welcomed that weary child into his arms, into his home, and fully into family love. 

So, dearest, you will mature in your mission. You will learn the struggles that come from the same suffering as Jesus the Son. You will learn that those who are angry are only children with hearts as fearful as your own. Forgive them, they don’t always know what they are doing. Don’t be afraid to examine your own heart, but only with the light of my love and acceptance leading the way. 

Come away for a time and let me speak sweetly. Let me give you the enhanced vocabulary of the Word, the One who loved even those who were against him. And when you fail, you will never disappoint me, you will continue with the lamp of love guiding your footsteps. 

My dove, let me see your face. And, having seen it, let me send you back into the world renewed in my love, to show my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.