Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

And Will Watch Your Eyes

 
And Will Watch Your Eyes

(“Anxiety in a person’s heart weighs it down, but a good word makes it glad.” Proverbs 12:25)

There are eyes full of beauty but smudged with coal,
hearts so delightful and yet feel only halfway whole.
There are days filled with firelight and butterflies
but the mind shivers inside its frightening stories.
And there are those who would fix it all by
quoting a verse, a pithy proverb, an anecdote from their
own life aflight, who have never known the way the brain
can wake with fistfights beginning the most resurrection of
days.

I will sit with you when you feel there is no one to see,
I will find the silence, the presence, the coffee and the chair
reserved for the dearest friends who have practiced and perfected
never saying anything at all.

There are voices that move the soul like music,
but in their own head it is discordant, too sick
from the crush of air pressure and peer reviews
that they never sing unless caught by surprise.

I will listen with you, write your verses with you, hum with you,
I will find the middle notes that makes you shine, the tempo that
you find, the chord you created that, once played, coaxes the tears.
You did not need an audience,
you needed an accompanist.

Come, let us compose your story again.
Tell me the brightness, the jewel, the time you knew
the warm grass was meant for your toes alone.
Come, I will repeat it back to you line by line.
Tell you the peace I find in your unrhymed yarns
with more colors than I’ve ever seen.

And when you forget it, as I forget mine,
I will whisper just the first few words and watch
your eyes full of beauty again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.