Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

The Whispers are Fainter

 

The Whispers are Fainter

(“’I am the Lord's servant,’ said Mary; ‘may it happen to me as you have said.’ And the angel left her.” Luke 1:38)

The whispers are fainter now than they ever have been,
the attraction to divining the exact instructions for my
next move
has waned so only the mud remains to be seen,
mucking up everything I once believed.

I wanted to be the Lord’s servant too, and blew every
opportunity until
I was set adrift so far beyond the crowds
that the only voices I ever heard
were the voices I always fought with
in my head.

It is likely my ears will go numb from
disuse
and all I’ll hear are the digital hums
that dig their way past the defenses (happy
images
of palm trees and beaches as sleep washes over
me.)

Transparency is all I ever wanted you to see,
but now I am embarrassed to say I do not
perceive my own inner workings. I once had
a toy,
the visible man,
a clear plastic body assembled with everything
from skeleton to skin. Blue veins, red arteries,
white bones and all the organs including a perfectly
dormant brain. His liver and lungs sometimes smelled
of airplane glue. It’s likely he died on my dresser somewhere
between the Monkees and Iron Butterfly.

And now I am stagnant and feel as lifeless as my boyhood model;
my soul has shrunk or is shrouded by decades of ash while
onlookers applaud my survival after the crash.

And still I ask, “how has it all happened, and what was it
you said that set me on this motionless moment?”

And perhaps another time I would have signed it;
your loyal servant. And scratched my signature in
plain view.

2 comments:

  1. How are you doing today? I know better than to ask a poet what certain things he/she wrote mean, but here I am curious about the man on a journey... is this autobiographical?

    And if so, where do you anchor your hope these days? How do you live the journey when carrying on with this self-awareness, this sharpness of clarity about your reality?

    Blessings,

    Andre

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I live this journey of self-awareness with a new acceptance that I do not have to be "on" or "sure" all the time...or most of the time. Yes, this one is very autobiographical. I spent over 40 years in very conservative evangelical churches as a pastor. Found myself moving in a different direction in my faith (though still centered in Christ). This has caused me to reevaluate much of my experience. I think this piece deals with the calls for "commitment" that I seeemed to always want to say "yes" to, but how often that paled in light of my actual human existence.

    Thanks so much for commenting, and asking.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.