Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Thursday, January 7, 2021

Coronation Day

 

Coronation Day

(“How terrible it will be for you legal experts and Pharisees! Hypocrites! You shut people out of the kingdom of heaven. You don’t enter yourselves, and you won’t allow those who want to enter to do so.” Matthew 23:13)

So, you be queen, and I’ll be your king
because we need more heroes and fewer
novitiates.
I cannot remember the last person I saw
kneeling before a peasant in the street.
But we’ll take it all back when we come to power;
we’ll storm the gates on our coronation day.
I’ve heard them say the day will not be long enough,
the forces against us are weaker than the principalities for us.
We can break a few windows, steal a few chairs,
set up our thrones at the top of  the stairs
where everyone can see our benevolence.
(Imagine the arrogance of those who only kneel
at ball games.)
So, parade with me; we will walk together past
the old frame churches to show our allegiance
to script and verses we cannot repeat but
have rehearsed for this day only. March
with banners of war, that’s what we are here
for. Doing battle against the enemy you have hated
with me all along. Slay the satan, demolish the devils,
and create more dragons in the minds than ever existed
in fables or rhymes.
You know we have the votes, you know we have the defenses,
you know we have kept out the vagrants with our fairy-tale fences,
unscalable except for the quiet mob we invited
to ignite the flames within our sacred chamber with
wood from the lecterns and ancient documents declaring
independent witnesses are so last year.
In God we trust (since 2015), no matter our obscene
rants. Chances are our subjects will love every word
from our mouths and erect us monuments and fill
their churches with songs about our anointing day.

So, you be queen, and I’ll be your king
because I cannot think of anything more
that God and Country could need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.