Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Renewed Geometry

Renewed Geometry

("...to show mercy to our ancestor and to remember his holy covenant." Luke 1:72)

Like a floating decimal point we are unashamedly aimless,
separating quotients, demanding notice, only to disappear
into the winter mists again.

We would find our way, if not for the theorems we suppose
apply to everyone. Fathers and mothers had their own family
instructions,
handed to us in woodframe prairie living rooms. Sometimes
there were logs in the hearth, sometimes there was fire; some
times there was more smoke than we hoped and we coughed
our little heads off. But no matter the background noise,
the rules turned us into their little girls and boys. Into their
men and women, into arrows they hoped to shoot in just
the right direction. But perhaps their diction was off, perhaps
we read too much fiction; perhaps our hearing was dull, perhaps
their mouths were too full

but

we needed mercy and so did they. Day by day, hearts damaged and
hearts overflowing, mouths salvaged and eyes still borrowing
their interpretations of everything from theorems on the run.

So here I am on the side of the road, waiting for the next ride home;
Here I am waiting on the edge of the corner, a long way from home.
Here I am, a boy and a man, not certain who and when I am the other;
Here I am, embraced and arms-length, uncertain how to love the others

Who had theorems at home just like me, but theorems at home
different than my own.
And now they float in decimal solutions, rings around my corresponding
sphere where sometimes we touch, once a decade or once a year.

Lord have mercy, God have mercy,
Christ have mercy;
on us.

We need renewed geometry. Grace that replaces our sloppy
calculations and creates the nexus where we meet in all our
muscle memory and brainy computations to simply offer
earthy oblations to the King whose only laws are love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.