Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Fig Trees, Foam Rubber and Forgiveness

Image result for "mark 11:25" fig trees and forgiveness

Fig Trees, Foam Rubber and Forgiveness

“When you pray, if you remember anyone who has wronged you, forgive him so that God above can also forgive you. Mark 11:25

Imagine your life is a garden. You’ve planted rows of corn, green beans, tomatoes and other vegetables. You prepared the earth, broke up the clods, added the right fertilizer and placed the seeds in the proper lines. You look forward to a harvest to put on your table in the Fall.

But suppose that is all you did. In my world, that is exactly how gardening should be done. Plant the seeds, come back in a few weeks, put the produce in a basket and enjoy the benefits of your labor. Isn’t that how God does it? I have yet to see Him out and about in the forests making sure the evergreens are sprouting just right.

You see, I think that is part of why Jesus is so upset about a fig tree earlier in this story. Jesus and his disciples were on their way to Jerusalem and spotted a fig tree in full leaf, indicating it should also have fruit. Jesus was hungry, but there was no fruit on the tree. In fact Mark tells us that “fig season had not yet come.” Jesus pronounces a curse on the tree saying, “No one will eat fruit from your branches again.”

I know, that sounds harsh! So, hang with me here. Outwardly the tree showed every evidence that it was producing fruit. Yet, there was not a single sweet fig on the entire tree! Imagine the disappointment.

I can. Years ago I was a youth pastor in southern Oklahoma. The church had a reception to welcome us our first Sunday. So, we all gathered in the basement with everyone congregated around a table with silverware, plates, napkins and a beautifully decorated sheet cake. One of the board members gave me the ceremonial knife and asked me to cut the cake.

Starting in the middle, I ran the serrated edges down through the frosting and into the cake. Unfortunately, the dense cake resisted my efforts. As I sawed unsuccessfully the cake merely compressed under the blade. I wondered if it was angel food cake…the most difficult to cut in the world.

I continued trying to divide the cake with the knife, all the while pretending that nothing was wrong. I mean, someone had taken the time to bake it, there was no way I was going to insult them with a squirming look on my face trying to get through the first cut. So, as unobtrusively as I could, I continued to stab the resistant cake.

I started to notice the looks on the people’s faces. Were they laughing at me? What? Here I am, trying to be diplomatic about somebody’s shoddy cake baking and all I get is derision? What have I gotten myself into with this crowd? (Ok, you just caught two seconds of my inner monologue.)

That’s when the looks broke out into full-on giggles and hoots. The board member took the knife from me, scraped away a square of icing from the cake and showed me the problem. It wasn’t a faulty baker. The cake was a sheet of foam rubber! I laughed with everyone else. Who doesn’t like a prank at their own expense?

At that point I was ready for the “real” cake. Only problem, there wasn’t one. That was it, cake-cutting was over. I mean, this is the South, people. This is hospitality country…and there wasn’t a “real” cake?

I think I understand what Jesus must have been thinking when there wasn’t any “real” fruit on that fig tree.

The disciples notice later that the fig tree has withered to the roots and are amazed. Jesus tells them to trust God, and if they do, they can tell any mountain to throw itself into the sea, and, splash, that mountain takes a dive. “Whatever you pray for or ask from God, believe that you’ll receive it and you will,” he says. 

 Jesus then offers the most important "mountain" many of us need to pray away. He tells us to forgive others immediately when we pray. Withered trees. Swan diving mountains. Foam rubber cakes. Forgiving people who have wronged us. I think I see the connection.

Remember our garden? In the real world it needs to be tended, doesn’t it? A good gardener checks the plot regularly. Weeds must be removed, pests eliminated. Trees need to be pruned. An untended garden, no matter how well planted, will quickly be overrun with undesirable vegetation and will produce little to no fruit.

And so, we must tend our inner garden. We must remove the grudges that grow like weeds and prevent the fruit of God’s grace from coming to full maturity. We must actively forgive the  wrongs done against us as a way to remove the pesky pests of jealousy, bitterness and a host of other fruit-killers.

When you pray, the first order of business is forgiveness. Not your own, by the way. No, Jesus tells us forgiving others comes before asking for our own forgiveness. Isn’t that how it should be? I need the grace of God. I crave it. I cannot live without it. I am a parched man needing the cold springs of grace to quench my thirst.

How, then, knowing how needy I am, can I refuse the same refreshment that God in Christ has offered me? Let’s tend our gardens. Today, as you pray, imagine your heart as a garden, and ask the Holy Spirit to help you do a bit of weeding. Forgive. Today. Your own spiritual wellness depends on it.
help you do a bit of weeding. Forgive. Today. Your own spiritual wellness depends on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.