Never Sleeps

While a pastor on the Fort Berthold Reservation I was honored with the Indian name, "NeverSleeps". It was primarily because I was often responding to particular needs in the middle of the night.

Even more relevant, the Lord Himself, Maker of all, "Never Sleeps".

Surely you know.
Surely you have heard.
The Lord is the God who lives forever,
who created all the world.
He does not become tired or need to rest.
No one can understand how great his wisdom is.

Isaiah 40:28

Welcome to every reader. I am a simple follower of Jesus. He is perfect, I often fall short.

Saturday, September 3, 2016

Original Intent


Original Intent
(“They didn’t demand an accounting from the men into whose hand they delivered the money…for they dealt faithfully. 2 Kings 12:15)

I will trust you with these words, and leave them in your care,
for, until this time and backward a plural of degrees
you have kept them carefully and incubated their design;

A harder task than most realize.

So, as I deposit them to your account, I trust you will keep
them unmixed
from other motifs and sentiments as well you can,
for rationalizations exist for withdrawing notes from
Unrelated accounts and attaching them; addendums never
realized nor penned by my familiar signature.

My words are the handiwork of my heart, and my
heart
is (as yours is) fragile, yet true. Will you,
as I place them in your safekeeping, administer them,

Not as your own,
but as you know I meant them to be.

I’ve seen the conversations, the sloppy accounting,
where lines are crossed out or carelessly erased,
and then quickly replaced with overtones never
implied in the original autograph. I have seen you,

In my mind’s eye,


Solitary at eve with undried sighs,
knowing replacing the replacements
with your own erasure would raise newer suspicions
about your original intent.

1 comment:

Feel free to comment, I'm always always interested, and so are others.